Saturday, February 19, 2011

Fried Speakers

In the excitement of receiving my things from America I rushed to hook up my computer speakers and fried them when I plugged them into the wall.  I was so excited to introduce music into my apartment that I overlooked the 120V stamped on the back of the  subwoofer.  I killed my speakers.

A friend at work tipped me off to a guy in the IT department that is a electronics whiz and has a history of rescuing circuit-cursory Americans.

I left my speakers in the IT room earlier in the week with a note, and yesterday a burly guy with white hair came from the bowels of the IT server room and showed me my fried transformer.  In broken English he explained the price to have the transformer repaired ($54) -- he will rewind new copper wires by hand and make a new casing -- and that he investigated my speakers from the inside and assured me they're a good product.

As he left my office he said in a thick Russian accent, "My consultation here is finished."

Old world knowledge of electronics is cool.  In America we'd just pitch the broken wares and buy new.  I'd be guilty.  With all this talk over recycling, shouldn't we put more emphasis on repairing old equipment?
In the meantime, I'll make do with live music.  Here's a photo from last night's blues show:
Suren Arustamyan Band at Stop Club

1 comment:

John said...

Ok, so just today I met with an electrician so that he could look at our food processor that had never worked. It was 110V so I let him use a transformer but it didn't do anything. He took the thing apart out in our guard's house, and he turns to me and says that a $5 part will fix it. I give him the $5 and he takes off on his motorcycle. I ended up going to the base. When I got back our guard hands me the processor and says "It works. He'll come back for $3 for work."

Score 2 for old-world electronics knowledge!!!!