Saturday, January 29, 2011

Armenian Wrestling Championships


Armenians love wrestling, and they're good at it.  Today I went to the Armenian National Wrestling Championships and saw the country's best compete for a spot on the national team.  Competition was fierce, and as the day progressed the energy in the gymnasium mounted.  Many of the wrestlers hailed from Gyumri, Armenia's second largest city, and when pitted against a Yerevan-based opponent, the onlookers cheered adamantly for their hometown lad.  Nobody looked more engrossed then the young, aspiring wrestlers.  They sat in the front rows and leaned over the railings to get closer to the action.

Today's event was Greco-Roman, but Armenia has been successful internationally in all styles.  Armenia wrestlers captured 2 bronze medals in Beijing in 2008 and one gold and one silver in Atlanta. 

Who needs the Australian Open on TV?  (Well, if I had cable, I'd like to watch that too.)             

2 comments:

amet said...

I like wrestling too but in my childhood I went in for judo.It was fantastic.

Jay said...

Judo?! I had no idea? Are you teaching Mustafa any moves?