Saturday, January 29, 2011

Cultural Exchange at the French Embassy


Last night I attended my first official diplomatic event: a piano concert at the French Embassy. 

What appeared at first glance to be old guard European diplomats enjoying Liszt and Ravel turned out to be something much more important.  The piano concert was part of a music exchange between France and Armenia, where French masters train with Armenian music students, culminating in the opportunity for two Armenians to travel free-of-charge to Normandy to compete in the 3rd European Piano Championships.  I tip my chapeau to the French Embassy for a wonderful event of cultural exchange through music.

Now you may be wondering why a lowly American diplomat is invited to a piano concert at the French Embassy.  The truth is that I wasn't invited.  The U.S. Ambassador was invited, but as often is the case, she had to regretfully decline the invitation, and the onus fell on someone else.  I happily accepted.

I arrived at the French Embassy and followed the stream of people flowing through the front door and up the stairs to the reception room.  This was a decidedly European affair.  People greeted each other in German, French, and Armenian, and I felt slightly alone not knowing any one.

Most guests came in pairs, and the crowd was an older, dapper bunch.  As I waited in my chair for the show to start, couples glided into the parlor, shaking hands and smiling at familiar faces on the way to their seats, a ritual they've probably perfected in capital cities all over the world.

The French Ambassador opened the night with a short speech, and I could here his French accent through his Armenian remarks.  Four pianists played for us, three Armenians and a Frenchman, and they played brilliantly.  My favorite piece was Ravel's Scarbo (Gaspard de la nuit)- pure keyboard acrobatics.

After the concert, we were quickly ushered to tables in the back of the room for refreshments.  A few minutes later, the chef appeared in his white toque, smiling and nodding as we inhaled his salmon and dill crostinis and tiramisu bites. 

I met a local radio DJ and a French precious stone merchant and before leaving introduced myself to the French Ambassador. 

Tomorrow: The Armenian National Wrestling Championships

3 comments:

Anya said...

Precious stone merchant! wow :-D

great post Jay!

Alex Snider said...

Ah the first awkward diplomatic affair! They should give you a plaque! I've definitely attended my share of those, I generally stick near the food and make small talk around culinary preferences, something you'd be good at! :)

Anonymous said...

Came across this post by accident... Great one... Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work:)